• Profile picture of Crimsin

    Crimsin wrote a new post

    a mother knows

    inside the sorrow my melancholy growsgreys with undertones of bluelingering in the shadows a nightgale takes flightthe soul departs and the body is lefttiny deaths looking on I submitI'll see you again smiling down at mea mother knows her...

    Read More
    10 Comments
  • Profile picture of Damian DeadLove
    Backstage (Overkill - End Of An Era 90 to 95)

    Welcome, Backstage, I’m Damian DeadLove. Tonights band is: Overkill. That’s right we’re talking about the boys from, Jersey. I’m a huge fan of this band they are by far my favorite thrash metal band. Shout out to my brother, J.J.Burton,...

    Read More
    10 Comments
    • I like the way they kept going. Like just because they lost a deal.they kept going. Nice.

      • Thanks so much for reading and your kind words, Fia. So glad you enjoyed the story my friend. Yeah, they are a band that still loves making music, and performing for their fans. One of my favorites. Appreciate you.

        Damian

    • I remember reading this one on DUP. I never knew anything about them until you introduced them. I will say a couple things here. You brought such an infectious enthusiasm to the tellingvof theor story that it roused my curiosity. So well the fuck done there! Also, completely unrelated to the story, I have complete hair envy looking at their photo. Sigh… Another fascinating episode, my friend

      • Thanks so much for reading and your kind words, Willow. So glad you enjoyed the story my friend. Yeah, it was the last one written. The enthusiasm was it’s a band my friend and I talk about all the time. He got me into them, and his mother had passed away. This was in March around my birthday, he had called me in late February saying he might not be able to call on my birthday because she was getting worse. She passed, I knew he was going to be busy with all her arrangements. So I wrote this episode for him. I wanted it to be good when I read it on my YouTube channel. I was relieved a couple months later on my belated birthday call, because he calls me on my birthday, always has. That it was his escape, a place to relax and get calm. He said he’d close his eyes and listen to me talk about, Overkill. So I was there for him in an untraditional way, but I was there. Sorry for the novel. Appreciate you.

        Damian

    • I actually don’t think I know this band unless I’m just not recalling. But heck, any band with a ‘Fuck You” EP is worth a listen.

      I have some YouTubing to do.

      • Thanks so much for reading and your kind words, Nick. So glad you enjoyed the story my friend. YouTube away, I’m always into teaching people about music they haven’t heard yet. Appreciate you.

        Damian

    • Thanks so much for reading and your kind words, Keith. So glad you enjoyed the story my friend. I agree they went more commercial it was their “Black Album” says J.J. Burton. Just like Megadeth had “Countdown to Extinction”, and Slayer had “Seasons.” Every thrash band took a shot at what Metallica done with the Black Album. That’s also straight from the mouth of my old friend. He’s the wisest man I know when it comes to Thrash or Death Metal. If I get stuck he’s the one I ask. lol. But we loved the Blues vibe and the songwriting. They are often called the Motörhead of thrash by some. Appreciate you.

      Damian

    • I checked out both band and both are great. Though I will say D.O.A. “Fucked Up Donald” is going on my playlist haha. Loved it.

    • Meant to comment on this on DUP but the shutdown happened before I got around to it!

      I never even thought of calling them the Motorhead of thrash but that is an apt description for them. When Hello From the Gutter came to Headbanger’s Ball on MTV they suddenly became one of my top-tier favorite bands. I even had an Under the Influence t-shirt I found at a mall in the city (they didn’t sell Overkill merch out in the sticks where I was from lol). 90-95 period is significant for me as those were very formative years (age 17-22)

      I always felt that Overkill had a gritty realness to them, actually (imo) superior to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer or Anthrax (the so-called “big four”). I grew up with those bands and went to the concerts and wore the t-shirts and cranked the tapes in my muscle cars but now, in my 50’s, I find that I never listen to any songs by the Big Four anymore, but I still listen to Overkill. The music has truly aged like a fine wine. A very streetwise kind of metal. Developed under harsh conditions. This is a band with a lot of moxie, and you can hear it in the music.

      The Years of Decay is probably my sentimental favorite, but Horrorscope really showed how they had matured as songwriters. “Time to Kill” and “Who Tends the Fire?” are the 2 tracks I seem to drift back to the most.

      • Thanks so much for reading and your kind words, Benjamin. So glad you connected with the story my friend. I always thought it should have been Overkill instead of Anthrax representing the east coast side of the Big 4. And I like Anthrax, but Overkill had songwriting and something special that couldn’t be duplicated. I agree a moxie, or a swagger. Plus “Blitz” who reminds me of a Thrash metal David Lee Roth. He’s clever in his lyric writing and has a very witty sarcasm to his humor. He’s a fucking frontman, not strapped to an instrument. He knows how to interact with the crowd. Great album, I love Decay as well. “Who Tends the Fire?” is one of my favorites as well. “Time To Kill” is awesome as well. But I really loved “Decay” as a song. Being it explains life on the road and touring isn’t as glamorous as you think, it’s work. Great comment. Appreciate you.

        Damian

  • Profile picture of ReggiePoet

    ReggiePoet and Profile picture of JuliaJulia are now friends

    Profile Photo
    ReggiePoet
    @reggiepoet
  • Profile picture of S. Libellule

    S. Libellule wrote a new post

    Bipolarity

    Can anyone ever hopeto explain or derive trulythe biophysical nature of meorbiting these twin polesA classical three body problemwhose physics still eludeswhose attraction so exudeslike some wicked alchemyConverting my calm daysinto such maniacal waysonly to be metby the ragged...

    Read More
    6 Comments
    • Like some chipped teacup. beautiful and functional but chipped still. Love this

    • Terrific expression of yours and many others wonky minds.
      Not easy being human just enjoy what you can,when you can …..

    • hello beautiful poet twirling whirling out of control seeking a tempest resounded with me great write ❤️

    • S. I can relate heavily. My diagnosis is schizoaffective with a bipolar attachment. Thank you for writing this and posting. Brave.

    • Brilliantly penned, LDF. This is a very powerful write my friend. Appreciate you.

      Damian

    • I agree, brave and beautiful LDF…

      This resonates with me, as well…

      I just went for a walk, sort of,
      gravitating back to something like
      equilibrium, following the closing of DUP…

      Twas/tis such a unique form of loss…

      (But it got me thinking about the different
      times where I was searching for equilibrium…

      One thing I would say is that equilibrium is
      not all it’s cracked up to be…

      :)(I don’t mind being a little crazy, honestly…

      I have taken quite a liking to it…

      I have decided I like being dangerous…

      Poem inspired… TY)

      I agree also, with the idea of our will to
      stillness, based upon our divine sides…

      In a world that is ever moving…

      A fine dance between fine dancing partners…

      Nicely done…

      <#3

      I miss you and think of you often

  • Profile picture of Nick DC

    Nick DC wrote a new post

    Amongst the Stars

    I have a feeling of uncertainty   the words she speaks are my kept memories   but to her the feeling’s not mutual my words become faded as she looks exhausted when I try harder I just can’t seem...

    Read More
    9 Comments
    • deep feelings here dearest Nick powerful write ❤️

    • Powerfully penned, Nick. Another great write my friend. Appreciate you.

      Damian

    • Honestly, I can relate. But I learned…much to my surprise…nothing is impossible or unattainable. Unless we never reach…

      • Well some things aren’t right for the situations we are in. This is a older poem of mine, but I think looking back life can be a crossroad. You pick a path but there are things you leave behind. Some of those things are pieces of yourself. You have to make the decision if it’s worth giving those things up. But I guess that’s just life all around.

        Thanks for the read, friend. Much appreciated.

    • I don’t like suits, and no comment on the perverted part haha. I wrote this some years ago but I think it captured the moment well.

      Thanks for the read, friend.

    • This is a beautiful write, in a sad way. But beautiful nonetheless. So much about love comes with such tragedy, and most of the time it’s self inflicted when we don’t deem ourselves worthy of something or in this case someone. Idk if I translated that correctly but this was deep. Thanks for sharing. xx
      ~P.G💋

      • Love is complicated and so are people and situations. Glad you liked my poem. Thank for the read. Much appreciated.

  • Load More Posts

My Friends

Profile Photo
Backdeckbenny (Peter)
@backdeckbenny
Profile Photo
Savaja
@savaja
Profile Photo
Bat Powers
@batpowers
Profile Photo
Brandon Houser
@llama40204
Profile Photo
Miss Indie
@miss-indie

Groups

My Recent Posts

We Are Atlas

Hang In There

New Report

Close