• Profile picture of Backdeckbenny (Peter)

    Backdeckbenny (Peter) wrote a new post

    O long married companions.

    Long married companions, bodies altered by the slow rivers of years,flesh softened, hair silvered, eyes deepened with unseen storms.He sits content in the quiet grass of doing little,she surges forever onward, busy with the world's endless motions,Going, doing, planning...

    Read More
    7 Comments
    • Thanks for the kind comment.

    • This is quietly heartbreaking and beautifully observed—love and life in parallel lines.

    • Such good writing Peter. So often, couples won’t acknowledge the other until one day there’s one less partner to walk through life with. Death hits hard and the regret of not sharing openly the feelings that still linger underneath.

      Your poem narrates characters in a story of their lives. They live through your words. This is so well done.

    • Thank you Thomas and Tim for your thoughtful and kind remarks.
      I share most of my writing with anyone other than my wife.I wonder how much great poets of the past shared works with their partners.

      🙏

    • Powerfully penned, Peter. Excellent write my friend. This is amazing storytelling at its finest. Appreciate you.

      Damian

    • This is sad and the description of how things even though you are doing what you must day to day you forget that the partner must be taking care of just like everyone and everything else

    • This is probably the way it is for most older couples. Yet always at least parallel, not veering away. Close enough for a hand to hold, to acknowledge the other. I envy that, to have someday. Just to know I am not ever really alone. As bittersweet as it can seem, it is also a reward unto itself. That commitment to stay so near, even if it seems a bit far at times. Hearts have a way…
      Wonderful write. Poignant and pin-point.

  • Breathe

    I was a skeptic,a Thomas with doubtfingers rubbing the scars of my own disbelief,thinking breath alone could not unravel my pain.How foolish I,with my sharp, cynical mind,believing only the white pillswould loosen the darkness inside me.I still swallow them,those...

    Read More
    3 Comments
  • Profile picture of Betty

    Betty and Profile picture of JavaliniJavalini are now friends

    Profile Photo
    Betty
    @betty
  • Profile picture of Betty

    Betty and Profile picture of Sappho (Elke)Sappho (Elke) are now friends

    Profile Photo
    Betty
    @betty
  • Profile picture of Betty

    Betty and Profile picture of KasaiKasai are now friends

    Profile Photo
    Betty
    @betty
  • Load More Posts

My Friends

Profile Photo
Bat Powers
@batpowers
Profile Photo
D. Ignatov
@ignatov
Profile Photo
Betty
@betty
Profile Photo
Broom
@broom
Profile Photo
Backdeckbenny (Peter)
@backdeckbenny

My Recent Posts

Soul

RESPITE

New Report

Close